BOSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY
JOB TITLE: WORKERS’ COMPENSATION MANAGER
STARTING SALARY: $57,641.32 – $72,398.89
POSTING DATE: June 20, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 3, 2013
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit a cover letter along with a resume or employment application to the Director of Human Resources, 52 Chauncy Street, 9 Floor, Boston, MA 02111
As a member of the Risk Management Department, the Workers’ Compensation Manager is responsible for all aspects of the Workers’ Compensation claims management process and the implementation/administration of loss control initiatives necessary to reduce the cost of such claims. To the extent qualified as an attorney, the Workers’ Compensation Manager also represents the BHA in Workers’ Compensation and other civil law proceedings as determined by the Director of Risk Management and the General Counsel. The position reports to the Director of Risk Management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Reviews all notices of work related injuries and oversees the report of such injuries/incidents to the insurance company and the Department of Industrial Accidents. Manages the activities of the department Administrative Secretary who assists in the reporting process.
• Works with BHA staff to investigate facts surrounding work related injuries and assists insurance company representatives in claim compensability determinations.
• Assists injured employees as necessary in obtaining proper medical care.
• Directs/assists insurance company representatives throughout the claim management process, with the goal of returning injured employees to active employment. Maintains direct contact with injured employees and/or their attorneys.
• Works with injured employees, BHA Human Resources/Payroll staff and insurance company representatives to coordinate use of sick time/vacation benefits with payment of Workers’ Compensation benefits.
• Formulates strategy for defense/resolution of all Workers’ Compensation claims and directs insurance company representatives and outside defense counsel accordingly. Negotiates claim settlements directly with injured employees and/or their attorneys as appropriate.
• Assists insurance company representatives and outside counsel in the preparation of cases for presentation at Department of Industrial Accidents conferences/hearings and attends such conferences/hearings in person as necessary.
• Monitors performance of Workers’ Compensation claims management service providers (insurers, brokers, TPA’s, etc.) and takes action as necessary to improve quality of service. Attention is focused on proactive claim management and the accuracy of loss data compiled/maintained by the service providers.
• Coordinates strategy with BHA Human Resources/Legal staff in matters that involve both Workers’ Compensation and “employment practices” issues (terminations, union grievances, failure to re-hire, etc.).
• Participates as a member of the Reasonable Accommodation Committee and reviews employee requests for accommodation under applicable statutes.
• Acts as liaison between the BHA and the state retirement board in matters that involve both Workers’ Compensation and disability retirement claims.
• Tracks/analyzes/summarizes Workers’ Compensation loss data, identifies cause drivers/trends, and formulates strategies for reducing the overall cost of work related injuries.
• Consults with BHA operations staff on employee safety equipment and work process ergonomic issues and acts as a resource in the procurement of necessary equipment/supplies.
• Co-leads Safety Committee process with the Director of Risk Management. Identifies loss prevention/control needs and implements loss prevention/control programs, training and other initiatives as necessary. Follows to monitor effectiveness of such initiatives.
• If qualified as an attorney, represents the BHA in other (non-Workers’ Compensation) civil litigation matters, as may be determined by the Director of Risk Management and the General Counsel. Prepares/files court pleadings and provides representation in court proceedings as necessary.
• Assumes some level of responsibility for the continuity of BHA General Liability, Automobile, and Property Damage claims processes in a “back-up” capacity.
• Assists the Director of Risk Management in the preparation of RFP’s and other activities in support of the BHA’s insurance program procurement processes as necessary.
• Assumes responsibility for the administration of other (non-WC) insurance/risk management programs and projects as assigned by the Director of Risk Management, i.e. administration of the BHA Police Department Life insurance program.
• Continuously reviews the efficiency and efficacy of all aforementioned processes, functions, and responsibilities and recommends/implements improvements as necessary.
• Perform other related duties as required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree with 5 years experience in Workers’ Compensation claims management. Comprehensive understanding of MA Workers’ Compensation laws/benefits. Practical experience with employee safety/loss control programs. Candidate should have strong oral/written communication skills as well as strong negotiation skills. Candidate should have strong computer skills as well as ability to work independently, with limited direct supervision. ARM designation and/or law degree (with MA Bar admission) with civil litigation experience preferred, but not required. You must have valid driver’s license. The ability to communicate in other languages (other than English) is desirable.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply